Visitors Last 7 Days

Monday 24 June 2013

Alan's European Tours.

Hi Liver Bikers,  As you may know I have been driving around Europe every year in my van for 20+ years. I always take my bicycle with me and have cycled in: Rome, Barcelona, Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Paris, Strasbourg, Geneve, Brussels, Lyon, Vienna, Munich, Antwerp and so many more. Must try to stop bragging!

Anyway the point is that the knowledge I have accrued over the years should be used to plan trips for Liver Tour members. I have just returned from a trip to the Czech Republic and St Omer near Calais. Whilst at St Omer Pat and I managed to ride some of the cycle routes around the area and we found them to be brilliant. We talked as we rode the loops.. about how nice it would be for our members to sample these loops.

The area Pas de Calais is of gently rolling hills with beautiful scenery. All the loops are a nice distance, well signposted (so no getting lost ha ha) and all on quiet country lanes. The maximum climbs are in the region of 200 metres.....so easy!

There are also well signposted mountain bike routes for anyone so inclined. There are also many places of interest to see on route like: the 2nd World War La Couple.. the V2 rocket launching bunker... now a museum. I stopped there for a coffee..mmnn.  Rando rail.. the old railway track and the historic St Omer.

There's something for everyone.


My Plan.. Leave early Friday morning, catch the ferry from Dover to Calais about 1 pm. Arrive in St Omer about 4pm (hour difference) complete one of the loops. Saturday. A morning loop followed by one in the afternoon. Sunday.. another morning loop... then leave for Calais...arrive in Liverpool late Sunday evening.

If you want to do this ride please get in touch by the usual Emails  :

Alanscaddyshack@AOL.com    (or)
Chairman25year@hotmail.co.uk

If we get enough interest we will give you a couple of alternative dates ....................

No comments:

Post a Comment